Curried Mushroom Empanadas
A rich mushroom filling is spiced with mild curry and wrapped in flaky pastry. These two-bite treats cross Indian flavor with classic Mexican empanadas for an appetizer that will disappear like magic! —Pat Cronin, Cotuit, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms, diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- Mango chutney, optional
- Cream butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in flour. Divide dough in half; flatten each into a disk. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add onions; saute until tender. Add mushrooms; saute until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat.
- Combine flour, curry, salt and pepper; stir into skillet. Gradually add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. round biscuit cutter. Place circles 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Place 1 tablespoon filling on one side of each circle. Brush edges of pastry with water; fold circles in half. With a fork, press edges to seal; prick tops with a fork. Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Serve warm with chutney if desired.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Curried Mushroom Empanadas in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017