Curried Lamb and Barley Grain
Fresh and deliciously different, this main dish can be made ahead and then baked before serving. Crisp cucumber and hints of lemon, mint and garlic in the sauce complement this recipe's appealing blend.—National Barley Foods Council, Mary Sullivan, Spokane, Washington
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- CURRIED LAMB AND BARLEY:
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 to 2 tablespoons curry powder
- CUCUMBER SALSA:
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped seeded cucumber
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- In a skillet, saute lamb, onion, barley and celery in oil until lamb is browned and barley is golden. Add broth and curry powder; bring to a boil. Pour into a 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until barley is tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the salsa ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Serve with lamb.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 336 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 531mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Curried Lamb and Barley Grain in Taste of Home February/March 1994
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.