Curried Ham & Split Pea Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 7 hours
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried green split peas
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and curry powder; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 7-9 hours or until peas are tender. Stir before serving. Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 288 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 683mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 16g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Feb 12, 2014
Loved how easy this recipe was, but I cooked it too long in the Crockpot so it got really thick. I just added more beef broth until it reached my desired consistency. The whole family enjoyed it, even the toddler! Not spicy at all!
Jan 3, 2014
very easy and good!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.