Curried Eggs in Shrimp Sauce
I like to dress up ordinary hard-cooked eggs with a special shrimp sauce. You can assemble this casserole the day before and bake the next morning.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of shrimp soup, undiluted
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound cooked small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 12 hard-boiled large eggs
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter; whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually add soup and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Stir in shrimp.
- Pour 2 cups of sauce into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set remaining sauce aside. Cut eggs in half lengthwise; arrange whites over sauce. In a bowl, mash yolks. Stir in the mayonnaise, curry powder, mustard, paprika and salt. Spoon into egg whites. Top with reserved sauce.
- Melt the remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 251 calories, 19g fat (7g saturated fat), 271mg cholesterol, 464mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Curried Eggs in Shrimp Sauce in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2006