Curried Chicken Tossed Salad
Curry and basil pack plenty of flavor into this lightly dressed salad Irene Tetreault of South Hadley, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup julienned carrot (2-inch strips)
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 cups coarsely chopped spinach
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 5 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon thinly sliced green onion
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a small nonstick skillet, bring water to boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 1 minute. Add carrots; cover and boil 1-1/2 to 2 minutes longer. Drain and immediately place asparagus and carrots in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, combine the salad greens, spinach, chicken and blanched vegetables. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Serve with salad.
Nutrition Facts2 cups: 236 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 378mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Curried Chicken Tossed Salad in Light & Tasty December/January 2005