Curried Chicken Sloppy Joes
These delicious Sloppy Joes pack a burst of unexpected flavors in every bite. They'll surely jazz up your Sloppy Joe repertoire. For potlucks, keep the chicken mixture warm in a slow cooker and allow everyone to fill their own buns.—Jamie Miller, Maple Grove, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1-1/4 pounds ground chicken
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet orange pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons mango chutney
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 10 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook chicken over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- In the same skillet, cook the onion, pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the curry, ginger, pepper and salt; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the tomatoes, apple and raisins; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 6-8 minutes. Stir in the chutney, mayonnaise, mustard and chicken; heat through. Serve on buns.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 288 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 486mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 5g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Curried Chicken and Apple Sloppy Joes in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3