Curried Chicken Pockets
"I served these pitas stuffed with zippy chicken filling for a picnic the day my husband and I got engaged," reports Lisa Scandrette of Eveleth, Minnesota. "Now our children enjoy them."
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 10 min.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup chutney
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 6 cups cubed cooked chicken
- PITA BREAD:
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/3 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- Lettuce leaves
- In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, chutney, curry powder and chicken; refrigerate until serving.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/3 cup warm water. Add 1-1/2 cups of flour, oil, salt, sugar and remaining water; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; shape into six balls. Let rise for 30 minutes. Sprinkle three ungreased baking sheets with cornmeal. Roll each ball into a 7-in. circle. Place two circles on each baking sheet. Let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 500° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. Cut pitas in half. Line each with lettuce; fill with 1/3 cup chicken mixture.
Nutrition Facts1/2 each: 352 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 310mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.