Curried Chicken Cacciatore
With a family, full-time load at college and a part-time job, the slow cooker's my best friend when it comes to getting hot and homemade meals like this one on the table.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 6-1/4 hours
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 2 small zucchini, halved and sliced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jar (24 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2/3 cup dry red wine
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- Place chicken and vegetables in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, mix spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, wine, broth, parsley, garlic and seasonings; pour over chicken. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Cook, covered, on high 15 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Serve with rice.