Curried Chicken and Rice
Curry sauce makes this version of chicken and rice stand out from all the others. Your guests will think you spent hours in the kitchen preparing this impressive dish. —Tammi Lewis, Bellevue, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (8 ounces)
- 10 ounces fresh pearl onions, cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- CURRY SAUCE:
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup chutney
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- In an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish, combine broth, curry powder, paprika and seasoning mix from the rice. Top with rice, mushrooms, onions and green pepper.
- Arrange chicken pieces on top. Cover and bake at 425° for 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor, combine yogurt, ricotta cheese, chutney, flour and curry powder. Process until smooth; pour over chicken. Sprinkle with almonds. Increase oven temperature to 475°. Bake, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts14 ounce-weight: 514 calories, 22g fat (7g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 672mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 42g protein.
Originally published as Curried Chicken and Rice in Country Chicken Cookbook