Curried Carrots with Crunchy Peanut Topping
- 2 pounds fresh carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced 1/4-in. thick
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 to 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 20 Ritz crackers, crushed (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped salted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, bring 2 in. of water to a boil. Add carrots; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 4 minutes. Add onions; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until carrots are tender, 4-5 minutes. Drain vegetables; return to pan.
- 2. Whisk together mayonnaise, cream, curry powder, salt and pepper. Pour over vegetables; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. or 8-in. square baking dish. Combine crushed crackers and peanuts; sprinkle over carrots. Drizzle melted butter over top. Bake, uncovered, until bubbly, 20-25 minutes.
2/3 cup: 438 calories, 35g fat (8g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 820mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 6g fiber), 6g protein.
Dec 31, 1969
I made this recipe on 10/10/17. I'd used just enough water to cover carrots to cook them and simmered the onions/carrots, for at least 20 minutes, covered, until carrots were tender. Everything else was prepared as recipe stated. I used the 2 Tbsp. amount of curry powder.