My homegrown carrots are sweet and tender. When I have a bumper crop, I use this recipe to make the most of them. Warm curry spice and crunchy peanutty topping make this a no-leftovers dish. If you want to add a burst of green, use half carrots and half broccoli florets. —Trisha Kruse, Eagle, Idaho
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds fresh carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced 1/4-in. thick
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 to 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 20 Ritz crackers, crushed (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped salted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, bring 2 in. of water to a boil. Add carrots; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 4 minutes. Add onions; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until carrots are tender, 4-5 minutes. Drain vegetables; return to pan.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, cream, curry powder, salt and pepper. Pour over vegetables; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. or 8-in. square baking dish. Combine crushed crackers and peanuts; sprinkle over carrots. Drizzle melted butter over top. Bake, uncovered, until bubbly, 20-25 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Curried Carrots with Crunchy Peanut Topping in Taste of Home September/October 2017