Curried Beef with Rice
This time-tested recipe is a natural outgrowth of raising our own beef and cooking for family of mostly men who love meat and gravy.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1-1/3 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons uncooked wild rice
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- Optional toppings: toasted slivered almonds, minced fresh parsley, sliced green onions, chopped sweet red pepper and/or golden raisins
- In a saucepan, combine 2/3 cup water and wild rice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Add the long grain rice, oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining water; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes longer. Remove from heat; let stand for 5 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the flour, curry powder, pepper and remaining salt until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over rice. Sprinkle with toppings if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 688 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 1379mg sodium, 87g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 3g fiber), 37g protein.
Originally published as Curried Beef with Rice in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.