Curried Beef with Dumplings Recipe
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup hot water
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimientos
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides; drain. Combine the carrots, tomatoes, onion, curry powder, sugar, 1 teaspoon salt and Worcestershire sauce; pour over roast. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 2-1/2 hours or until meat and carrots are tender.
- 2. Remove roast and carrots; keep warm. Add hot water to pan; bring to a boil. For dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder and remaining salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in the milk, parsley and pimientos just until moistened.
- 3. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering liquid. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Remove dumplings. Strain cooking juices; serve with roast, dumplings and carrots. Yield: 8 servings.
6 ounce-weight: 422 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 925mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 38g protein.
Reviews for Curried Beef with Dumplings
"Very good. Had some real tang, and was quite tender. I like a little more juice with my roast and the dumplings soaked it all up, so I may make dumplings in beef broth and just add them when serving next time."