Curried Barley Chicken
The sweet taste of orange marmalade tops off this nicely seasoned chicken and barley dish.—National Barley Foods Council, Mary Sullivan, Spokane, Washington
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium tart apple, chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, peppers and garlic in oil until crisp-tender. Stir in apple and curry; cook 1-2 minutes. Add broth and barley; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Arrange chicken on barley mixture; sprinkle with garlic salt. Cover and bake at 375° for 45 minutes. Uncover; brush with the marmalade. Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until chicken juices run clear and barley is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 327 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 723mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 10g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Curried Barley Chicken in Country Woman July/August 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.