Currant Jelly Scones
These golden goodies dotted with festive red jelly are rich, light-textured and delicious. Plus, they're quick and easy to prepare—no kneading is required.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 4 teaspoons currant jelly
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the egg, cream and orange zest. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- On a greased baking sheet, pat dough into an 8-in. circle; cut into eight wedges. Do not separate wedges. Make a thumbprint in each wedge, about 1/4 in. deep. Fill indentation with jelly. Bake at 400° for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 276 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 429mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Currant Jelly Scones in Crafting Traditions November/December 2003