Currant Hazelnut Scones
With an ever-expanding dairy farm and three children, I don't have a lot of time to bake. But when I can, I pull out this recipe for sweet scones.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 2 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and baking powder. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk eggs and milk; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Fold in hazelnuts and currants (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Pat into an 8-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges. Separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 12-18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Originally published as Hazelnut and Currant Scones in Country Woman Christmas 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.