- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 4 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- CURRANT SAUCE:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup currant jelly
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 whole cloves
- Prepare rice according to package directions. In a large skillet, saute the onion, mushrooms and celery in oil until tender. Remove from the heat; add the rice, pecans, parsley, thyme and marjoram. Stuff hens; rub skin with butter.
- Place on a rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, heat the butter, jelly and lemon juice in a small saucepan until butter and jelly are melted. Combine the cornstarch, vinegar, salt and cloves until smooth; add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- After hens have baked for 30 minutes, baste and bake 30 minutes longer or until juices run clear. Place extra stuffing in a greased 1-qt. baking dish; cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forCurrant-Glazed Cornish Hens
"I think you have to boil the glaze for longer than 2 minutes to get it really thick."