Our Test Kitchen home economists encourage you to play with your food and shape refrigerated breadsticks into hearts and arrows! A sprinkling of seasonings provides the finishing touch.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes4 hearts and 4 arrows
- 1 tube (11 ounces) refrigerated breadsticks
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- Separate breadstick dough into six pieces. For each heart, unroll four pieces and twist if desired; seal perforations and pinch ends together. Shape into hearts on an ungreased baking sheet.
- For arrows, unroll remaining two pieces and separate into four breadsticks. With scissors, cut one end of each breadstick into a point. About 2 in. from the point, cut out a triangle from both sides of breadsticks (discard removed pieces). At the other end of the breadstick, make diagonal cuts on each side, creating feathers. Place on baking sheet with hearts.
- Combine butter and seasonings; brush over dough. Bake at 375° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Pillsbury refrigerated breadsticks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 136 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 319mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Cupid's Breadsticks in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2002