- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) cake mix
- 1-1/4 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 5 teaspoons cold water
- 1-1/4 cups whipping cream
- 5 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Red and yellow food coloring
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions for cupcakes. Cool on wire racks.
- In a saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over water; let stand for 1 minute to soften. Cook and stir over low heat until gelatin is dissolved. Remove from the heat; cool. In a mixing bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Add sugar, vanilla and gelatin mixture; beat until well combined.
- Set aside 1 cup for decorating. Spread remaining frosting over tops of cupcakes. Divide reserved frosting in half; tint one portion pink and the other yellow. Use a toothpick to outline shape of heart, flower or sunburst on tops of cupcakes. Use medium star tip to pipe pink or yellow stars along outline. Fill in shape with piped stars as desired. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forCupcakes with Whipped Cream Frosting
"The gelatin gummed up and did not mix with the heavy cream....had to strain and remove the gelatin. Very disappointed!"
"Gelatin formed shooter marble size balls which were flung out of the bowl by the mixer. Bummer."
"This recipe worked perfectly for me! Thanks for posting!"
"We took this recipe back into the Test Kitchen to address any issues. The directions will be updated soon to help provide the best results. This is a nice frosting with the flavor and consistency of whipped cream with the addition of gelatin to give the frosting added stability. For best results, be sure the whipping cream is well chilled and also place your beaters and mixing bowl in the refrigerator for about half an hour before starting the recipe."
"I tried this receipe with no success. The icing was thin while the geletin clumped up."
"I tried this 2 times, and both times if failed miserably... would love to know how to make a firmer whipping cream frosting, but one that works."