Cuke Heart Appetizers
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 package (1.4 ounces) dry vegetable soup mix
- 1-1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 11 large cucumbers (largest diameter available)
- Fresh dill sprigs, optional
- In a medium bowl, combine spinach, water chestnuts, onion and soup mix. Stir in sour cream and mayonnaise. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Peel and slice cucumbers 1/4 in thick; cut with 1-3/4-in. to 2-1/4-in. heart-shaped cutters. Spoon 1 teaspoon of spinach mixture on small hearts and 2 teaspoons on large hearts. Garnish with dill sprigs if desired.
May 21, 2010
I made these for an evening party (all appetizers) and found them very tasty, but plan to add some dill and a bit more onion next time (no fresh dill available at my grocery right now). I loved the cucumber slices as the base. I used English or hot house cucumbers-the kind that have basically no seeds and tender skins. (They come in plastic wrap where I buy them.) I used a scalloped canape' cutter to shape them. I do not recommend (as stated in the ingredient list) 'buying the largest diameter available' because you'll have the mushy seed cavity. The English cucumbers were crunchy and perfect. I used Miracle Whip Light and red. sour cream. A HINT: place the thawed spinach in a couple of layers of coffee filters (the regular 12-cup coffemaker size) them in several layers of paper towels and squeeze to get the water out (replacing towels as needed). When you're done, the spinach peels out of the coffee filter easily! Very fresh, crunchy, and flavorful.
Feb 15, 2010
The heart shapes were a hit at a Valentine's Day party, but the taste of the dip was incredible! I was asked by 3 different family members for the recipe. Delicious!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.