I'm Greek and my husband's Sicilian, so we use plenty of garlic in our cooking. We typically serve this traditional Tzatziki with lamb and chicken.
Recommended: 25 Cucumber Recipes to Make This Summer
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups (32 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Line a fine mesh strainer with two layers of cheesecloth. Place yogurt in strainer over a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least four hours or overnight.
- Drain and discard liquid in bowl; set yogurt aside. Place cucumber in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 15 minutes; discard liquid.
- In a small bowl, whisk oil and vinegar until blended. Stir in the garlic, yogurt and cucumber. Yield: About 2-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Cucumber Sauce in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p223
Reviews forCucumber Sauce
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 12, 2009
"Great sauce for falafel. I cut the recipe in 1/2 because I didn't need so much sauce. I still used the full cucumber and cut the rest of the ingredients in half. Turned out great!"