Cubed Steaks Parmigiana Recipe
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup finely crushed saltines
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 beef cube steaks (4 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/4 cups tomato sauce
- 2-1/4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper. In another bowl, beat eggs and water. Place cracker crumbs, grated Parmesan cheese and basil in a third bowl.
- 2. Coat steaks with flour mixture, then dip in egg mixture and coat with crumb mixture. In a large skillet, brown steaks in oil for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- 3. Arrange steaks in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25 minutes or until thermometer reads 160°. Combine the tomato sauce, sugar, 1/4 teaspoon oregano and garlic powder; spoon over steaks. Bake 10 minutes longer.
- 4. Top each steak with mozzarella cheese; sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese and remaining oregano. Bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
4 ounce-weight: 478 calories, 27g fat (10g saturated fat), 202mg cholesterol, 1116mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 42g protein.
Reviews for Cubed Steaks Parmigiana
"This was easy and pretty flavorful. It had been over 30 years since I've had cubed steaks."
"My first reaction was, "Good but not great." I thought it tasted better as warmed up leftovers the next day. I pretty much followed the recipe, just padded a small can of tomato sauce with some ketchup so left out the sugar."
"Excellent. The family loved it. I suggest leaving out the sugar."
"We had this for dinner tonight and thought it was very good. I followed the directions exactly except I did not add sugar to the tomato sauce as we don't like sweet spaghetti sauce. I would definitely make this again."
"Love his recipe. It is one of my staples."
"Best recipe I've found for cube steak."
"This is great. My husband loves it. My kids on thr otherhand are just picky and wont try it lol"
"This recipe is very good and was enjoyed even by my son who is a very picky eater. I used Ritz crackers in place of saltines."
"I used progressive Italian breadcrumbs instead of saltine crackers and basil...We loved it would definitely make it again. I think I will try this with chicken next time too=)"