Cube Steak Beef Rouladen
It took me years to work up the nerve to try a recipe that called for meat to be wrapped around pickles and cooked. Once I did, though, it became a favorite. My husband and boys request this for Christmas dinner.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour 35 min.
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, divided
- 2 beef cube steaks (6 ounces each)
- 1 medium dill pickle, cut lengthwise into eight pieces
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced, divided
- 1 bacon strip, halved
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- Spread 1 tablespoon mustard over one side of each piece of meat. Top each piece with four pickle pieces, a fourth on onion and a piece of bacon. Roll up jelly-roll style and secure with toothpicks. In a skillet, cook meat in butter on all sides until browned. Add the bay leaf, bouillon, rosemary, salt and remaining onion. Stir in 1-1/4 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat and keep warm. Combine flour and remaining water until smooth. Gradually stir into juices in skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf. Stir in browning sauce if desired. Remove toothpicks before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 320 calories, 22g fat (11g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 1077mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Beef Rouladen in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.