When a hungry crowd’s coming over, we plan a day ahead to make our juicy pork sandwiches. I call the sauce Mojo because it’s loaded with zingy flavors.—Theresa Yardas, Sheridan, Indiana
Featured In: 60 All-Day Slow Cooker Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup ground cumin
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (6 to 7 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 2/3 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 loaves unsliced French bread (1 pound each)
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- In a small bowl, mix the first five ingredients. Cut roast into thirds; rub with oil. Rub spice mixture over meat; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate, covered, 24 hours.
- In a large saucepan, combine onion, wine, juices, bay leaf and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 45 minutes. Strain sauce, discarding onion and seasonings.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown roast on all sides; drain. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Pour sauce over meat. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred pork with two forks. Return pork to slow cooker; heat through.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Split bread horizontally. Hollow out bottoms of loaves, leaving 3/4-in. shells. Spread relish and mustard inside shells. Layer with meat and cheese. Replace tops.
- Wrap sandwiches tightly in heavy-duty foil. Place on baking sheets. Bake 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Cut each crosswise into 12 slices. Yield: 24 servings.
Originally published as Cubano Pork Sandwiches in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2016, p63