Cuban-Style Ground Beef Hash
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, raisins, olives, vinegar, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add peas; cover and cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 258 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 541mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Cuban Ground Beef Hash in The Taste of Home Cookbook 3rd Edition--Bonus 30-Minute Light
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.