Cuban Ropa Vieja
I love having this as a go-to recipe for a weeknight meal. Its great authentic Cuban taste puts it at the top of my list.—Melissa Pelkey-Hass, Waleska, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 2 beef flank steaks (1 pound each), cut in half
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- In same skillet, heat drippings over medium-high heat; brown steak in batches. Transfer meat and bacon to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, beef stock, tomato paste, garlic, seasonings and vegetables; pour over meat. Cook, covered, on low 7-9 hours or until meat is tender. Shred beef with two forks; return to slow cooker. Stir in cilantro. Remove with a slotted spoon; serve with rice.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little stock or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups (calculated without rice): 335 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 765mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Cuban Ropa Vieja for the Crockpot in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.