Cuban Ground Beef Hash
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, raisins, olives, vinegar, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add peas; cover and cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 262 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 621mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Nov 4, 2012
I really enjoyed this recipe. Definitely said no to the raisins!
Jan 1, 2010
I, too, leave out the raisins most of the time. Although I like the contrast they provide, some members of my family do not. No matter, it's still very tasty without them.
Sep 23, 2009
This is a wonderful recipe. The olives add just the right touch. I had to admit to not always include the raisins. We don't miss it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.