Crusty Roast Leg of Lamb
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 2 hours + standing
- 1 boneless leg of lamb (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs (about 2 slices)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- Dash salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2-1/2 pounds medium potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 large tart apple, sliced
- Place leg of lamb on a rack in a roasting pan. In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, butter and seasonings; spread over meat. Place onion in pan; pour broth over onion. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1 hour.
- Add potatoes; bake 30 minutes longer. Add apple; bake 30 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender and meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
- Remove vegetables and apple and keep warm. Let roast stand for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
Editor's NoteLook for herbes de Provence in the spice aisle.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 349 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 116mg cholesterol, 316mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 36g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 20, 2010
We eat a lot of lamb in our household, so I thought I would try a different recipe. The breading is pretty dry and has very little taste to it. I would prefer just salt, pepper and a little rosemary on my roast.