Crusty Italian Sub Supreme
I encourage guests to grab a knife and fork before diving into hearty slices of this sandwich! Each bite is loaded with sausage, cheese, artichoke hearts and sauce.—Toni Lockhart, Gilmer, Texas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- 2 jars (7-1/2 ounces each) marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce; heat through.
- Cut the top third off the loaf of bread; carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- Line bread shell with cheese slices; top with sausage mixture and artichokes. Replace bread top. Wrap loaf in foil.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 455 calories, 29g fat (12g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 1261mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Crusty Italian Sub Supreme in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.