Crunchy Yam Bake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2-1/2 pounds yams or sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Special K
- Place yams in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain yams and place in a large bowl; mash. Stir in the egg substitute, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon.
- Transfer to a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter. Add pecans and brown sugar; cook and stir until sugar is melted. Stir in cereal until coated. Sprinkle over yam mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160° and topping is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 145 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 211mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Nov 14, 2014
This is a great healthier recipe! love the crunch on top!!
Nov 26, 2010
I used to make yams with marshmallow on top. After all, that's how my mom made them. This year I wasn't going to make them at all, but thought I'd give this a try. Yummy! This was sooo good! This just became our annual tradition, but i think I want it more often than that.
Nov 27, 2009
This is an easy to make and yummy recipe
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.