Crunchy Yam Bake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2-1/2 pounds yams or sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Special K
- Place yams in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain yams and place in a large bowl; mash. Stir in the egg substitute, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon.
- Transfer to a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter. Add pecans and brown sugar; cook and stir until sugar is melted. Stir in cereal until coated. Sprinkle over yam mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160° and topping is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 145 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 211mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Nov 14, 2014
This is a great healthier recipe! love the crunch on top!!
Nov 26, 2010
I used to make yams with marshmallow on top. After all, that's how my mom made them. This year I wasn't going to make them at all, but thought I'd give this a try. Yummy! This was sooo good! This just became our annual tradition, but i think I want it more often than that.
Nov 27, 2009
This is an easy to make and yummy recipe