Crunchy Whole Wheat Cookies
One day, my grandmother and I were planning on making cookies, but she didn't have all-purpose flour. I suggested we use whole wheat flour. The result is a crisp hearty cookie loaded with flavor.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 6-1/2 dozen
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 139 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 70mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Crunchy Whole Wheat Cookies in Best of Country Cookies
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.