VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 6-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Crunchy Whole Wheat Cookies in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p55