Crunchy Turkey Salad
Adding a refreshing salad to the spread is a snap with Brenda Moore James' recipe. "The water chestnuts, almonds, celery and chow mein noodles provide lots of crunch," she notes from her home at Livermore, California. "Topping it all is a sweet-sour dressing my family loves."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups cubed cooked turkey, chicken or ham
- 6 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 can (3 ounces) chow mein noodles
- In a jar with tight-fitting lid, combine the sugar, oil, vinegar, salt, garlic salt and pepper; shake well.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Just before serving, shake dressing and pour over salad; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 167 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 198mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Crunchy Turkey Salad in Country Woman May/June 1999