I like to prepare this in summer when the men are late getting in from the fields. Chicken and a zesty dressing turn simple greens into a satisfying main meal.
Recommended: 30 Satisfying Protein-Packed Salad Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 cups torn lettuce
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons tarragon or white wine vinegar
- 3 to 4 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shoestring potato sticks
- In a large bowl, combine lettuce, chicken, celery, carrots and onions. Combine mayonnaise, milk, vinegar, mustard and pepper in a small bowl. Pour over salad; toss until lightly coated. Add potato sticks; serve immediately. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Crunchy Tossed Salad with Chicken in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p48