"The recipe for this delicious spice cake originally called for cooking and mashing a pumpkin and making the cake from scratch," writes Laurine Lockwood of McGregor, Minnesota. "With my large family, I don't have time for all of that. I much prefer this easy version!"
Recommended: 78 Christmas Potluck Desserts for 12 or More
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 package spice cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, butter and pumpkin. Add cake mix; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in 3/4 cups walnuts. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with butterscotch chips and remaining nuts.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Crunchy-Topped Spice Cake in Taste of Home December/January 2002, p65
Reviews forCrunchy-Topped Spice Cake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 25, 2010
"This is a great recipe, it was sooo good. I made it, took it to work and everyone loved it. I look for excuses to make it again!! :)"