Crunchy Topped Chocolate Cake
This cake perfectly caps off this dinner without anyone guessing it's lighter than most desserts. Broiling the topping of oats, coconut and nuts creates a crispy texture that nicely complements the tender cake.—Michelle Bishop, Peru, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, oil and egg whites; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a broiler-proof 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For topping, combine brown sugar and oats in a bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in coconut and pecans; sprinkle over hot cake. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until topping is bubbly. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Parkay Light stick margarine.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 245 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Crunchy Topped Chocolate Cake in Light & Tasty June/July 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.