This cake perfectly caps off this dinner without anyone guessing it's lighter than most desserts. Broiling the topping of oats, coconut and nuts creates a crispy texture that nicely complements the tender cake.—Michelle Bishop, Peru, Indiana
Recommended: 23 of Our Most Decadent Chocolate Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) chocolate cake mix
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3 tablespoons cold reduced-fat stick margarine*
- 2 tablespoons flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, water, oil and egg whites; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into a broiler-proof 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- For topping, combine the brown sugar and oats in a bowl; cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in coconut and pecans; sprinkle over hot cake. Broil 4-6 from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until topping is bubbly. Serve warm. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as Crunchy Topped Chocolate Cake in Light & Tasty June/July 2003, p7