Crunchy Sugar ‘n’ Spice Nuts
It just isn't Christmas at Lori Brouwer's house until these crunchy munchers are in the oven. "The wonderful aroma of ginger, cinnamon and nuts fills the kitchen with festivity when I bake this snack," she confirms from Cumberland, British Columbia.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 cups walnut halves
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 1 cup whole unblanched almonds
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and water until frothy. Add nuts; stir gently to coat. Combine the remaining ingredients. Add to nut mixture and stir gently to coat.
- Spread into two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Bake, uncovered, at 300° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring every 10 minutes. Cool. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 187 calories, 13g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 81mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Sugar 'n' Spice Nuts in Country Woman November/December 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.