Our holidays would not be the same without this family tradition. My mother made it every Thanksgiving when I was growing up; now I make it every Christmas and Thanksgiving, and my children and grandchildren absolutely love it! We triple the recipe because the kids can't get enough. —Sharon Scaletta, Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Recommended: The 13x9 Thanksgiving
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2 cups cubed bread (1/2 inch)
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat 1/4 cup butter over medium heat. Add celery and onion; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in spinach and soup.
- Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. round baking dish. In a small saucepan, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Stir in bread cubes. Sprinkle over top. Bake 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and bread cubes are golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Crunchy Spinach Casserole in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2017, p41