Crunchy Sauerkraut Salad
Debbie Jones' tangy crisp salad combines apple and dill with sauerkraut for a refreshingly different side dish. "It's delicious served with pork roast," says this California, Maryland field editor who loves to entertain - from casual cookouts to formal dinner parties.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 unpeeled apple, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup finely chopped dill pickle
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 112 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 537mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Crunchy Sauerkraut Salad in Taste of Home October/November 1994