Crunchy Salmon Cakes with Greek Yogurt Sauce
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
- 1-1/4 pounds salmon fillet
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs, divided
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh dill
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon capers, drained and chopped
- Place salmon on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 14-17 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Cool slightly; remove skin, if necessary. Transfer salmon to a shallow dish; refrigerate, covered, for 2 hours or until chilled.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in parsley.
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup bread crumbs, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, remaining pepper and the onion mixture; if desired, add pepper sauce. Flake salmon; add to bread crumb mixture, mixing lightly. Shape into eight 2-1/2-in. patties.
- Place egg whites and remaining bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip salmon patties in egg whites, then roll in crumbs to coat. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Spritz tops with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 14-17 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, mix sauce ingredients; serve with salmon cakes.
Nutrition Facts2 salmon cakes with 1 tablespoon sauce: 422 calories, 25g fat (4g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 541mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 24, 2017
Hello Simplefoods, you can make this with can salmon. I would just look at the ounces of salmon needed. One and a quarter pound is twenty ounces. I am not sure what size can salmon comes in, but you probably need at least two cans unless it is the smaller cans like tuna then you probably need at least three. Hope this helps, salmon patties are delicious!
Feb 12, 2016
Can't rate this properly as I haven't made it yet - need to know: has anybody made this with canned salmon? Fresh salmon is horribly expensive here and will sub, but am not sure how much. Any suggestions? I really want to try this - sounds delicious.
Aug 2, 2014
This was a great recipe for salmon cakes. It stayed together well, and that is usually the hard part for me when it comes to salmon or crab cakes. I will make these again, maybe add some more herbs to the mix.
Jan 12, 2014
The salmon cakes and sauce are both amazing. I got tons of compliments when I cooked them for friends. Also, very easy to make.
Feb 12, 2013
I made this recipe just like it said. Also made the sauce and both were excellent.
Oct 21, 2012
My entire family loved these salmon cakes. I didn't make the sauce though instead served with tartar sauce.
Oct 5, 2012
This turned out exactly as advertised. It's an easy, no-fuss recipe and really delicious.