Crisp-tender baked pears dressed in a cookie crumb and almond coating provide an elegant ending to a special meal. "My family says I serve this whenever a creative mood strikes," notes Nancy Sparrow of Baltimore, Maryland.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 8 large firm pears
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade
- 1/3 cup crushed reduced-fat vanilla wafers (about 10 wafers)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free reduced-sugar orange or plain yogurt
- Core pears from bottom, leaving steams intact. Peel pears, leaving a small amount of peel at stem end. Cut 1/4 in. from bottom to level if necessary. In a bowl, combine orange juice and marmalade; spoon over pears, letting excess drip into bowl. Set aside for sauce. Place wafer crumbs and almonds in a large shallow dish. Roll pears in crumb mixture to coat the bottom three-fourths of each pear.
- Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, for sauce, combine yogurt and reserved marmalade mixture; refrigerate until serving. Serve with warm pears.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 231 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 55mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Crunchy Pears in Light & Tasty August/September 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.