Crunchy Oatmeal Shortbread
Crunchy oats give this traditional shortbread recipe a new twist. These buttery confections are simply good to the very last crumb-especially with a cup of hot coffee or eggnog. I've also learned that they keep for months...if you hide them well enough!
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
MakesAbout 4-1/2 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Place the oats in a blender or food processor; process until ground. Add to creamed mixture.
- Combine the flour, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to oat mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll dough into 1-in. balls; roll in sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets; flatten slightly. Bake at 325° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 84 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 63mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Oatmeal Shortbread in Country Woman Christmas 2005