Crunchy Mashed Potatoes
“Using instant potatoes is a time-saver, but you can use leftover mashed potatoes, too. I switch this recipe up with different flavors of onion rings and by adding garlic.” Margaret Wilson - Sun City, CA
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups mashed potato flakes
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups cheddar French-fried onions
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Remove from heat. Add the milk, garlic and pepper. Whisk in potato flakes and sour cream until smooth.
- Spoon potato mixture into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Sprinkle with onions and cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from heat for 20-30 seconds or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 329 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 903mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Crunchy Onion Mashed Potatoes in Simple & Delicious January/February 2010
Mar 7, 2010
My family keeps requesting this dish! It's so delicious and easy to make!
Mar 7, 2010
Very good! I used skim milk and regular french fried onions. Turned out great not dry at all!
Feb 1, 2010
These were dry and didn't have enough flavor for my liking.