Crunchy Lemon-Pesto Garden Salad
I love using fresh vegetables straight from the garden to prepare this salad. If I pick the squash and cucumbers early enough, their skins are so tender that there's no need to remove them! Best yet, it's easily adaptable—any fresh veggie from the garden can be swapped in with delicious results! —Carmell Childs, Clawson, Utah
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 5 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- 1-3/4 cups mini cucumber, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup fresh peas
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 5 thick-sliced bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a bowl, whisk together the first six ingredients until blended. In another bowl, combine squash, cucumber, peas, Parmesan and green onions. Pour dressing over salad; toss to coat. Top with bacon to serve.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 159 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 586mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Crunchy Lemon-Pesto Garden Salad in Taste of Home Summer 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.