Crunchy Cool Coleslaw
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) coleslaw mix
- 2 medium Honeycrisp apples, julienned
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dry roasted peanuts or cashews
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, oil, sugar, celery seed and salt.
- Just before serving, pour dressing over salad; toss to coat. Sprinkle with peanuts.
Jun 2, 2018
I made slight changes to the recipe, using the red, orange, and yellow peppers I had on hand. I also subsituted pepitas instead of nuts. It all comes together so quickly, the peppers and apple make it so colorful, and the dressing is light and tastes great!
May 12, 2018
Just 2 of us, so I halved the recipe but used the full amount of dressing. I didn’t have peanuts on hand, so I used slivered almonds for crunch. Next time I will try cashews. We enjoyed this variation from our usual creamy cole slaw. I will be making this again.
Jul 16, 2013
Just added more peanuts and used rice vinegar because it's what I had available. My husband loved it! I made too much of it for an early dinner, and I was so glad to find my husband and son sitting in front of the couch watching a movie with the Big Bowl of this salad...Delicious!
Sep 5, 2012
I halved the receipe, including the dressing. Everyone said it tasted really good, but was dry and needed more dressing. Next time I will double the dressing. Very light and tasty!
Jul 22, 2012
I only needed to serve 8 people so I halved the recipe. I needed the full amount of dressing however. The recipe amount was skimpy even for one bag of coleslaw. I omitted the carrots as the mix I had contained carrots. Substituting caraway seed might be an option also. Generally it was tasty and the peanuts were a nice addition.