Crunchy Chocolate Eggs
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + standing
Makesabout 4-1/2 dozen
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 cups cornflakes
- 2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peanuts
- 3-3/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- Candy sprinkles
- In a heavy saucepan, combine brown sugar, corn syrup and peanut butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until smooth. Remove from the heat; stir in cereals and peanuts.
- When cool enough to handle, drop by tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Form into egg shapes. Refrigerate until firm.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip eggs in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Decorate with sprinkles. Let stand until set.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat peanut butter is not recommended for this recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 14, 2016
When I read the review that said these taste like the Whatchamacallit candy bar introduced in the late 70's, I had to make them. They truly do taste like that candy bar. These are really good!
Mar 31, 2014
We have peanut allergies so can I substitute soy butter? Will the consistency stay the same?
Dec 21, 2010
Delicious. I have made them as eggs and as bars (put in 9x11 pan). My husband says they taste like a Whatchamacallit candy bar.
Apr 5, 2009
These are so good!
Feb 12, 2009
I've made these as eggs, footballs, and will try them as hearts for Valentines. They are my boss's favorite treat.