Crunchy Chicken Salad
This recipe features tender chicken and crunchy vegetables. With peanut oil, soy sauce and toasted sesame seeds, the dressing has a slight Asian flair. To save time when entertaining, you can cook the chicken and prepare the dressing the day before.—Diane Hixon, Niceville, Florida
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1 cup julienned cucumber
- 2/3 cup green onion strips, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup canned bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- In a large salad bowl, toss the chicken, lettuce, carrots, cucumber, green onion and bean sprouts. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine dressing ingredients; shake well. Cover and refrigerate. Just before serving, shake dressing and pour over salad; toss to coat. Serve with breadsticks.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 156 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 201mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Crunchy Chicken Salad in Taste of Home April/May 1994
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.