- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts; drained
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup crushed cornflakes
- Sliced almonds, optional
- In a skillet, saute celery in butter until tender. Remove from the heat; add the next eight ingredients. Spoon into an ungreased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Combine melted butter and cornflakes: sprinkle on top of casserole. Sprinkle with almonds if desired. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forCrunchy Chicken Casserole
"Good recipe for company. Saut?ed some thinly sliced carrots with the celery and onion."
"If I could give this 10 stars I would! My family and I have been loving this casserole since I found it in my mothers Reminisce magazine in 1994. The crunch of the water-chestnuts and almonds is amazing!! If I take this to pot lucks I had better have the recipe with me because I WILL be asked for a copy every time with out fail. I do use 1 cup of the mayo and some garlic salt which I put in everything any way instead of just plain salt."
"I was looking for a quick dish for some left over chicken. Didn't have the water chestnuts or almonds. Not a spoonful was left! I did not have on hand the water chestnuts or almonds, but I did have Frosted Flakes. I never change recipes but this one worked. Even my husband (who hates creamy type dishes) scooped this one up. Everyone voted it was a repeat dish. Next time I will had the crunchies."
"This was a very bland dish! I would not recommend even to the dog. It had no flavor and I was thoroughly disappointed"
"Simple and very tasty. We served it with side vegetables for a complete meal. We'll be having this again."
"for the cooked rice I always use a pkg of rice a roni...the long grain & wild rice flavor...SO GOOD!"
"Yummy, a keeper!!"
"This is my favorite recipe for chicken casserole! I make it a little differently. I add a couple hard boiled eggs, sliced. And instead of cornflakes, I add crushed potato chips on top. It's delicious! And perfect to take to people when you need to bring someone a meal, or freeze (minus the potato chip topping) and pull out on a day when you're busy and need to heat something up. Comfort food, for sure."
"This is great for when you need to take a meal to a family because it is something even the kids will love."