Crunchy Asparagus Medley
This savory side dish made a special appearance at our Hawaiian dinner. But I've also been know to prepare it with different foods on other occasions.—Mary Gaylord, Balsam Lake, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large saucepan, cook the asparagus and celery in 1/2 in. of water for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Stir in the water chestnuts, almonds, soy sauce and butter; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 70 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 225mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Crunchy Asparagus Medley in Taste of Home April/May 1997
Feb 20, 2012
I was skeptical because it is asparagus but this is a must keep recipe! I substituted Sunchokes for the chestnuts. Fabulous!
Dec 13, 2011
This was a big hit at a recent potluck.